Date:      Tue, 1 Mar 2016 10:54:50 +0100
From:      Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Daniel Kalchev <daniel@digsys.bg>
Cc:        Sergey Manucharian <sm@ara-ler.com>, Andrey Chernov <ache@freebsd.org>, current@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dropping some locales/encodings?

--zS7rBR6csb6tI2e1

On Tue, Mar 01, 2016 at 10:58:37AM +0200, Daniel Kalchev wrote:
>=20
> > On 1.03.2016 =D0=B3., at 5:45, Sergey Manucharian <sm@ara-ler.com> wrot=
e:
> >=20
> > Excerpts from Andrey Chernov's message from Tue 01-Mar-16 05:47:
> >>=20
> >> CP1251 is Windows native (single characters mode) and widely used to
> >> represent Cyrillic: Russian, Bulgarian, Serbian, Ukrainian, Belarusian
> >> (i.e. be_BY), Macedonian. IMHO it will be better to not remove it to
> >> make easy handling of native encoded texts comes from Windows.
> >>=20
> >=20
> > I agree with Andrey that CP1251 is needed as one of major Cyrillic
> > encodings.
> >=20
> > Not sure how the locale existence/absence effects that. Definitely nobo=
dy
> > uses it as a locale for more than a decade.
> >=20
>=20
> I use daily bg_BG.CP1251 on a lot of workstations, primarily to handle ol=
d text documents and source code that contains pre-UTF text. I could imagin=
e similar use case for be_BY.CP1251.
>=20
> What benefit does it bring to remove an already existing locale?

The benefit is the fact we have no source for those and collation for one a=
re
wrong for those. (We have added proper collation support in head).

But given the feedback I got I will provide them as static (aka non evolving
anymore) while others would get refreshed so no locales will be lost and th=
at
will allow us to continue refreshing others.

Best regards,
Bapt

--zS7rBR6csb6tI2e1

--zS7rBR6csb6tI2e1--