Date:      Thu, 1 Mar 2001 13:30:45 +0100
From:      Marco Molteni <molter@tin.it>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   How to implement a transport protocol with netgraph? (2)

[Since I didn't received a reply on my first posting, I am trying once more]

Hi all,

I have to implement a kernel version of the transport protocol SCTP
(Stream Control Transmission Protocol, RFC 2960), plus a socket
interface to it as in draft-ietf-stewart-sctpsocket-sigtran-01.txt
(the RFC has an ad hoc user interface).

It seems to me that the modularity of netgraph would help a lot in
this project, as opposed to go hacking half the kernel networking
stack to put SCTP in it (and yes, this is my first big project in
kernel land).

I read the netgraph blueprint article on Daemonnews and the various
netgraph manpages. The problem is that all the examples and
applications I could find are layer 2 and layer 3, there is no example
of a transport protocol done with netgraph.

Since SCTP is reliable, at the very minimum I will have to handle
timers, buffers, retransmissions and friends.

So my questions are:

o Any example of a transport protocol done with netgraph, or any hints
  (the more detailed the better :-) on how to tackle this task? Is
  netgraph suited for this (I think yes) ?

o Let's say the socket interface will be something like
  sd = socket(PF_INET, SOCK_STREAM, IPPROTO_SCTP)
  How (or where) do I connect the socket system call to the netgraph
  framework?

Thanks for the help
Marco