Date:      Fri, 30 Nov 2001 11:44:32 -0500
From:      "Brian F. Feldman" <green@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
Cc:        "Andrey A. Chernov" <ache@nagual.pp.ru>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSD sort vs GNU sort.

Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za> wrote:
> > On Thu, Nov 29, 2001 at 11:47:33 -0500, Brian F. Feldman wrote:
> > > {"/home/green/netbsd-sort/basesrc/usr.bin/sort"}$ sort f | md5
> > > 3c31168a9159c2df8d8ce56370579c58
> > > {"/home/green/netbsd-sort/basesrc/usr.bin/sort"}$ ./sort f | md5
> > > 60369ee3857999b452c560c7a8256734
> >
> > And it means that bsd sort not support collate.
> >
> > BTW, there is much simpler way exist: grep strcoll in BSD sort sources.
>
> Andrey,
>
> Do you think you would be able to engineer proper i18n support into
> this BSD sort if I were to import it?

What would be the point of this proper "i18n" support anyway if it wouldn't
support some of the most common locales, just like GNU sort doesn't support
them now???  Andrey, you make me seriously wonder why I should care about
the i18n "support" currently in GNU sort now.  What would keeping GNU sort
instead of switching to BSD sort buy me?

I say we switch to BSD sort immediately, get rid of more crappy GNU code,
and if we want to say that our sort supports i18n we can ACTUALLY MAKE IT
SUPPORT I18N not some half-assed "this is internationalized where
'international' means 'probably works for some latin languages, and stuff'".