Date:      Thu, 22 Feb 2001 19:09:29 -0600
From:      Christopher Farley <chris@northernbrewer.com>
To:        Peter Brezny <peter@black.purplecat.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: problems sending mail to freebsd.org

Peter Brezny (peter@black.purplecat.net) wrote:

> I've been having problems sending mail to the freebsd.org domain.  my
> messages are rejected.  I sent a message to the postmaster@freebsd.org a
> while ago, but have yet to receive a reply.
>
> the details are copied below.  any suggestions?

I just recently had a problem sending mail to freebsd.org because
it seems their mailservers are now requiring valid reverse DNS
lookups, probably as an anti-spam measure. This seems a little
extreme, though; my subnet is not a full octet subnet, and my ISP
won't let me administer the reverse DNS zones. I had to have my
ISP manually add the entries to its zone file.

I have never required reverse DNS lookups on my mail server because it
would reject far too many valid addresses.

--
Christopher Farley
www.northernbrewer.com