Date:      Sat, 15 Apr 2000 02:06:20 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Alex Charalabidis <alex@wnm.net>
To:        jpcampbell@bigfoot.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: scsi drive problem

On Sat, 15 Apr 2000, John Campbell wrote:

> My machine recently crashed while doing a 'make buildworld' and things
> are really screwed up.
>
> I get the following when I boot:
>
> /dev/rda0s1f: CANNOT READ: BLK 655424
> /dev/rda0s1f: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY;   Run fsck Manually
>
> So, I go the the shell and run fsck and get....
>
> (da0: ahc0:0:6:0): READ(06). CDB 8 10 ca 1f 70 0
> (    ""       ):  MEDIUM ERROR info: 10ca6a csi:2,92,10 asc: 80,0
> (   ""        ):  VENDOR SPECIFIC ASC sks:80,0
>
> CANNOT READ: BLK 655424
>
> **** FILE SYSTEM STILL DIRTY ******
> **** RERUN FSCK *******
>

> This happens over and over.
>
> I go to the ADAPTEC (2940) and run the verify tool.  It shows a bad
> sector at #0010CA6AH.  It asks if I want to remap that sector.  I say
> yes.  Rerunning the verify gives the same error and nothing seems to
> get fixed.
>
> I can mount the partition (/usr) read-only in single user mode and see
> my files.  I attempted to mount it ro in /etc/fstab, but it won't boot
> to a dirty filesystem.
>
> Is there any way to get to my files?  I am coming back to this machine
> after planning my wedding for the last few months only to find out
> that my backups were not running.  I know this isn't a very good
> excuse, but that's beside the point.
>
> My last resort is to buy another scsi drive, install FreeBSD on it,
> and try and mount that partition.  Then I could copy my files off of
> it.   Or could I buy a tape drive, hook it  up to it and make a quick
> backup?

Buy a new drive anyway. Chances are your HD is about to croak. Backup what
you can, wherever you can before it's too late. It might be in

-ac

Alex Charalabidis (AC8139)            5050 Poplar Ave, Ste 170
Systems Administrator                        Memphis, TN 38157
WebNet Memphis                                  (901) 432 6000
Author, The Book of IRC              http://www.bookofirc.com/