Date:      Wed, 10 Jul 2002 23:34:20 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        Jesse Geddis <jesse@powweb.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Tunning NFS

In the last episode (Jul 10), Jesse Geddis said:
> 	I'm going to be using a NetApp 810 on a load balanced www
> server farm of about 10 apache servers with about 50k sites per
> netapp. From what I understand the default mount has pretty
> conservative settings (i.e. slow). The other thing that is important
> is that the www server doesn't panic if I sever the connection to the
> netapp. I was testing it today and got a currupted filesystem error
> after I had rebooted the netapp. Does anyone have any recommendation
> as to specific optimal flags to use between FreeBSD 4.6-STABLE and a
> NetApp 800 series?
> For both
> Nfs_client_flags=
> Mount_nfs

Actually there shouldn't really be any tuning needed.  The default
settings should be fine.  What was the error you got when you cycled
the netapp?  If you did a soft/intr mount, you sould have gotten errors
while the netapp was down, but they should have gone away once it came
back up.  With the default (hard) mount, accesses will simply hang
until the remote end comes back up.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com