Date:      Sat, 11 Mar 2000 17:21:31 -0500 (EST)
From:      Omachonu Ogali <oogali@intranova.net>
To:        Dennis Jun <dennisjun@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: enabling identd

On Sat, 11 Mar 2000, Dennis Jun wrote:

You know, inetd has a built-in identd daemon, you can add this line:
auth    stream  tcp     nowait  root    internal auth -r

For further information, including the spoofing the response, read the
inetd manual page.

> --- zaid dashti <zaid500@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > hi
> > i want ask one question !!
> > when i connect in internet and i run a BitchX (IRC) i can't connect to
> > DalNet Servers or EFnet Servers, why?
> > and  when i connect to DalNet or EFnet Servers i see this message in
> >
> > DalNet Servers: You have been Autokilled. (from raptor.ab.ca.dal.net)
> > EFnet Servers: You are banned from this server  Install identd for
> > access.(from irc.concentric.net)
> > I want connect to DalNet and EFnet, Please tell me
> > Thanks
> > bye
>
> That is because you don't have an ident server running.
>
> First you have to install an ident server. Fortunately, this is painless
> because there is one in the ports:
>
> cd /usr/ports/security/pidentd
> make install
>
> After that is done, you have to edit the /etc/inetd.conf file to enable
> the server.
>
> ee /etc/inetd.conf
>
> Scroll down the file until you get to this line:
>
> #auth    stream  tcp     wait    root    /usr/local/sbin/identd  identd -w -t120
>
> Uncomment that line (i.e., erase the #)
>
> And that's pretty much it. I'm not certain how to reinitialise inetd.conf
> without rebooting, since I am a newbie to FreeBSD. However, I think
> exec /etc/inetd.conf when you are root should do the trick. If not, then
> just reboot the box. Any BSD gurus have any comments/suggestions?
> I would love to hear them.
>

> =====
> PGP public key:
> http://i.am/dennisjun/
> or ldap://certserver.pgp.com/

| Omachonu Ogali                                     oogali@intranova.net |
| Intranova Networking Group                 http://tribune.intranova.net |
| PGP Key ID:                                                  0xBFE60839 |
| PGP Fingerprint:       C8 51 14 FD 2A 87 53 D1  E3 AA 12 12 01 93 BD 34 |