Date:      Wed, 30 Sep 1998 11:37:28 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Device Drivers for Linux and Intel's annoucement

On Wed, 30 Sep 1998, Brett Glass wrote:

Redirected to -chat to prevent crossposting.

>Jordan:
>
>This neglect at a crucial time could reduce FreeBSD to a weakly
>supported, largely ignored, niche OS without anywhere near critical
>mass.
>
>With all due respect, I think you are being too conciliatory. FreeBSD
>*is* falling behind. (Where's the CAM support for all those SCSI
>host adapters? Where's a production-level version of SMP?)
>Worse still, Walnut Creek seems to be doing just about ZIP to promote
>FreeBSD, in the face of a groundswell of publicity for Linux. It
>had the chance to be Red Hat before Red Hat existed, and blew it.
>
>My gut feeling -- and my gut has a pretty darn good track record when
>it comes to industry trends -- is that it's a do-or-die situation
>RIGHT NOW. FreeBSD needs some serious leadership, advocacy, and
>investment ASAP. The ball is rolling around aimlessly on the field;
>who's gonna pick up the fumble and run for the goal line?
>
>--Brett

How predictable.

How is FreeBSD's current situation any different from the inception of
FreeBSD with version 1.0 at the end of 1993? Given that the "ball" has
been rolling for almost five years now, FreeBSD was dead "niche OS" before
it started. It's amazing we came this far.

OBTW, I like this niche. I wonder if Ferrari kicks and screams that it
hasn't replaced the Civic in garages of every car owner with prancing
stallion adorned vehicle.

Whistle, Apple, and Oracle (and others that I do not know, I am sure) are
using/interested in FreeBSD. This is a great success.

Linux is not the enemy. I know that Brett believe's it with all his heart,
but Linux is not the enemy. Every success for Linux is a success for
FreeBSD.

Catchya Later,		|	UW Mechanical Engineering
Jason Wells		|	http://weber.u.washington.edu/~jcwells/