Date:      Sat, 11 Apr 1998 02:13:29 +0700
From:      "Fred Muller" <fred@madtec.com>
To:        "David Shanes" <dshanes@personalogic.com>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, "Brett Glass" <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re:Your Article "Freeware: The Heart & Soul of the Internet"

I'm not psychic.... I just subscribe to the right mailing lists and read
a lot. I found out about the Linux events via the "Appraising Microsoft"
list on Ralph Nader's essential.org site, for example.
[...]
I like the idea of scattering FreeBSD CD-ROMs to libraries hither and yon --
and also of having a little guy in a daemon suit at industry events. I think
that regular press releases are essential -- as well as publicity on the
major Internet news sites. C|Net has a bunch of good reporters who will
recognize what's newsworthy; so do TechWeb, The Red Herring, and Wired.

I propose that FreeBSD develop a PR team -- perhaps a group of volunteers
coordinated by someone who's paid at least part-time. There should be a
budget
for hiring writers, for mailing, for FAXing, and for a speaker bureau.

--Brett---------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------

Hi,

I've been following this discussion since the beginning and I feel like
everybody says "well we should do that and this and that.." but nothing
really happens (or maybe I'm missing some parts - which might really be
possible).

So is there anybody in charge? (sorry maybe this is also a stupid question,
as I'm really new to FreeBSD)

What I mean is that if you plan to do something there should be a
coordinator (maybe elections then if any?), plans and of course funds. I
think these kinds of battle need full time involvement.
Raising fund should not be that difficult : you can sell T-shirts (I think
RH does this already) or any kind of cheap items that FreeBSD users would
purchase to support this action (anyway if this leads to a FreeBSD market
share development, those people would easily get back their "donation" by
"selling" their knowledge at a professional level).

I don't really see what I can do myself (though I'd really like to help) as
I live in South East Asia which is quite far from where things happen.

Well that was just another comment to express my questions and feelings
about what's happening. If I really said something stupid please forgive
me...

Fred