Date:      Sat, 22 Jan 2000 12:41:09 +0100
From:      "James A Wilde" <james.wilde@telia.com>
To:        "Jonathon McKitrick" <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: programmer's editor choice

Thoughts, yes!

I asked nearly the same question a few months ago.  The conclusion I came to
was: stick to vi for two reasons:

1) it is on every UNIX machine in the world, apparently, so you always have
it there, which can't be said of some of the others.
2) the first editor you use in any environment is often the one you finally
think is best.  This is true of any program group.

Stick with vi.  You will soon get used to it.  I went so far as to d/l a
shareware proggy - or maybe it was free - which emulates vi on my NT
machines.  I have to say that I have forgotten to use it much, since the
excellent Programmers File Editor is automatically configured for txt, log
and many other text-only files.

mvh/regards

James