Date:      Fri, 31 Aug 2001 00:41:40 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom Kersten <tomkersten98@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Comments on Hardware choices for freebsd server

Hello,

I am in the early stages of building a box that I
intend to use as a FreeBSD server. It is my first
attempt at building a computer, running a server, and
I am very new to this OS--so I am trying to make
things as easy as possible for myself. I would
appreciate any comments on the following hardware in
relation to setting up and running FreeBSD. Let me
know if there are some obvious or not-so-obvious
problems I might run into from my choices...

Case:  Antec SX840 (400 watt PS)
Mobo/Prcsr:  Gigabyte GA-7DX with AMD Thunderbird
1.4Ghz
Memory: 512 MB Crucial DDR
Storage: 60 GB 7200 Western Digital WD Caviar EIDE
CDRW: 12x10x32 PLEXTOR

I will also be getting a digital modem, a floppy, and
a usb card maybe later. Once again, any
suggestions/opinions on hardware that shouldn't be in
the list or other hardware that would be better (from
your experience) are appreciated....

Thanks,

Thomas Kersten