Date:      18 Jan 2001 10:22:36 -0500
From:      Chris Shenton <cshenton@OutBounderInc.com>
To:        Mark Yeck <y3k@gti.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   [FIX] Re: 4.2R install on HP Vectra won't boot: no bootmgr, cursor han

On Tue, 16 Jan 2001 21:19:30 -0500 (EST), Mark Yeck <y3k@gti.net> said:

Mark> Here's a clue I found on dejanews. Hopefully it will help.
Mark> http://x69.deja.com/getdoc.xp?AN=700810190&CONTEXT=976477108.518324252&hitnum=2

Thanks! Seems a big hairy (grabbing boot0 images from FreeBSD-3.x, etc).

As a last attempt before doing the above, I tried telling sysinstall
to NOT use the normal FreeBSD boot manager, but to install the
"Standard" boot manager, as it says "no boot manager". [Standard=none
is a bit confusing, when the next choice is "don't touch the existing
boot manager on disk"].

Anyway, the Vectra can now find the bootable FreeBSD disk, so I'm up
and running. I'm not trying to use anything but FreeBSD so this is
fine for me. Hopefully this note in the archives might help others.

Thanks again.