Date:      Sat, 23 Feb 2008 13:09:40 GMT
From:      "Bas v.d. Wiel" <bas@kompasmedia.nl>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   i386/120991: System crashes when manipulating fs snapshots

>Number:         120991
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       System crashes when manipulating fs snapshots
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
System appears to almost completely freeze when creating a filesystem snapshot and simultaneously attempting to write to the disk. I say 'almost' because I can still switch between VTY's with alt-Fx keystrokes, but that's all the system will allow me to do. Any running processes appear to simply freeze, the system doesn't seem to accept any keyboard input other than the VTY switching and all network connectivity fails. However the wireless network that I'm hosting from this server using hostapd seems to keep transmitting at least its name. Clients see the network, but it's impossible to connect to it. There are no error messages when this freeze occurs, nor is anything logged.

The filesystem is UFS2 with of course soft updates on. It's a 750GB filesystem on a hardware RAID5 array using a HighPoint 1740 PCI SATA RAID controller and HighPoint's FreeBSD 6 drivers (rr1740).
>How-To-Repeat:
Start creating a filesystem snapshot
While the disk is churning away, create a new file from another terminal using 'touch' or any other method.