Date:      Wed, 19 May 1999 13:24:55 +0200
From:      Bert Driehuis <bert_driehuis@nl.compuware.com>
To:        Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@scc.nl>
Cc:        isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Rename on SIGUSR1 for isdnd

Marcel Moolenaar wrote:

> The reason for the patch is more "emotional" than technical. Firstly, I don't
> like fiddling with things that are under the control of running programs. It
> makes matters more complicated than strictly necessary. Secondly, I like
> clear functionality. Closing and reopening files makes sense only when
> accompanied by some external (from the isdnd point of view) action.

Rotation policy should probably be implemented in a shell script. Daemons
that rotate their own logfile just make things more complicated. The
"correct" way of handling it is to let the daemon close and the re-open
the log file upon receipt of a signal, so that the admin can create a
script that does

	mv isdnd.log isdnd.log.0
	kill -1 `cat /var/run/isdnd.pid`
	gzip -9 isdnd.log.0

or whatever s/he deems appropriate.

Renaming it in the daemon will screw someone up, somewhere. Look at the
history of log file rotation in Squid if you want to know where not to go.

Cheers,

					-- Bert
--
Bert Driehuis, MIS -- bert_driehuis@nl.compuware.com -- +31-20-3116119
The grand leap of the whale up the Fall of Niagara is esteemed, by all