Date:      Thu, 05 May 2005 03:15:52 +0000
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@chuckr.org>
To:        Stephen McKay <smckay@internode.on.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bragging rights

Stephen McKay wrote:
> On Friday, 29th April 2005, Chuck Robey wrote:
>

>>The disks are very well worth noting.  Three of them, organized into the
>>boot section and the home section.  The boot section is a 35G scsi, but
>>it's 15K rpm rotation rate, which means it's blazing.  This would be
>>fast enough on it's own, but it's not on it's own.  Tell me if you think
>>it's the neatest, but I don't think so.  My own encomium is given to the
>

> Thank you for teaching me a new word.  "Encomium" is not commonly used,
> to say the least. :-)
>

>>home section, which is formed from two 145G scsi disks.  They are each
>>only 10K rotation rate (faster than the fastest IDE, anyhow), but each
>>one has it's own independent scsi bus, so that the fast that they're
>>hooked together in a striped access via vinum means (in effect) I have a
>>290G drive that's, I dunno, I have to get to test, but damned fast, let
>>me tell you!
>

> Personally, I would have mirrored the data disks instead of striping them.
> Much slower, yes, but I'm tired of losing data when disks die.  Even if
> you have recent backups they are never recent enough to restore everything.

And I'm fairly certain that you're right on this.  I'm too busy right
this minute to give the project enough research to get it right ... I
have two disks, each 145G, and which I wouldn't mind giving up up to 1/3
of the space, if I could, to reliability, I really want the speed, and I
would NOT give up the entire disk, I don't need that sort of reliabilty,
I just don't.  So, would you mind tellme, what do you think I ought to do?