Date:      Wed, 29 Jul 1998 12:32:50 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Security How-To (Was: QPopper exploit)

(CC list trimmed a little)

On Wed, 29 Jul 1998, Nate Williams wrote:

> > > Anyone know where to get it?
> >
> > For a 30 day trial copy, go to www.datafellows.com and hed to their
> > download section. You can get a m$ copy of ssh client there.
>
> We bought a half dozen of these, and all I can say is they're buggier
> than snot.  Compression doesn't work if turned on, it hogs all the CPU
> on the machine (but does nothing) much of the time, and crashes the box
> occasionally.
>
> Their M$ product is *NOT* recommended.  (Although they're unix client is
> just a regular SSH client with some additional patches...)

I was very disappointed with DataFellows and that particular product -- I
was hoping for something that performed far better.  The tunneling works
and so on, but the connections occasionally flake out, and the cpu for
tunneling anything useful (like Exceed with X windows) is bad.

Also, the Windows product (last I checked -- 1.0?) doesn't make use of the
RSA authentication forwarding agent stuff -- you can do RSA authentication
to the first host you connect to, but it doesn't forward.  There is also
no way to use the kerberos ssh support with the windows client.

The terminal emulation is pretty buggy.

Someone posted locations to look at free ones -- I haven't tried any of
the free windows ssh clients, but I don't imagine they are much worse :).

  Robert N Watson

Carnegie Mellon University            http://www.cmu.edu/
TIS Labs at Network Associates, Inc.  http://www.tis.com/
SafePort Network Services             http://www.safeport.com/