Date:      Fri, 7 Jun 2002 10:54:49 +1000
From:      "Robert" <robbak@comnorth.com.au>
To:        "FreeBSD Support" <freeBSD-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   OT - Some Name strangeness

I recently (as noted in other post) been involved in a telstra (australia)
bigpond installation.

the strangness i have seen is in the names fo the pop and smtp server names.

pop mail comes from pop-mail (No .bigpond.com.) and mail goes to mail-hub
(again, not a FQDN). I didn't think that too strange - the DNS could treat
them as local names, or could be hacked to supply the ip addresses from
these apparently invalid names.

However, I became competely confused when these names continued to work
after I installed my BSD router and changed to it's DNS server. Also,
nslookup canot resolve these names, no matter where i send the request.

What is happening? how is this working???

thanks,
Robert Backhaus