Date:      Tue, 30 May 2000 09:04:39 GMT
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@neomedia.it>
To:        Larry Rosenman <ler@lerctr.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make buildworld, I give up.

On 5/30/00, 6:13:50 AM, Larry Rosenman <ler@lerctr.org> wrote regarding
Re: make buildworld, I give up.:

> More news.....

> It seems it may have been a hardware flake...

> It hung at one point in that make buildworld, and after reset
> the problem (objcopy not compiling) was back.

> After a number of the below recipes, I moved the 128Meg SDRAM stick
> to the other socket on the motherboard, and it's chugging along again.=

> I hate hardware flakes.

> LER

Dear Larry Rosenman,

I successfully made the 4.0-S world from sources as of 28 May (11 pm
GMT), and I met NO problem whatsoever.

If you have installed the 4-0-R sources, you might want to have a look
at the list=3Dcvs:<appropriate_tag> considerations, which are found e.g.=

in the FAQ at http://www.polstra.com. Mutatis mutandis, this means
``<source_collection> tag=3DRELENG_4_0_0_RELEASE list=3Dcvs:RELENG_4'' f=
or
your **first** cvsup to 4.0-S ONLY.

The very first update operation should be performed according to
J.Polstra's guidelines; especially if a (relatively) long time has
elapsed since the release of the distribution in question (4.0-R).

The first cvsup operation will create a correct checkouts file. The
**second** cvsup operation -- cvsup file(s) as per the relevant
examples found in /usr/share/examples/cvsup -- will actually update
your sources.

HTH,
Salvo