Date:      Wed, 24 Apr 2019 11:36:56 +0700
From:      Victor Sudakov <vas@mpeks.tomsk.su>
To:        freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [vm-bhyve] Windows 2012 and 2016 servers guests would not stop

--UugvWAfsgieZRqgk

Victor Sudakov wrote:
>=20
> I've noticed that it takes too long for Windows 2012 and 2016 servers
> guests to shutdown when I issue "vm stopall," several minutes even.
>=20
> Does vm-bhyve provide a way to power them off ungracefully if they would
> not stop within a predefined time?
>=20
> Or is there perhaps a way to tune the guest OSes to react more promptly
> to an ACPI shutdown?
>=20
> My primary concern is that my UPS and "apcupsd --kill-on-powerfail" give
> me about 30 seconds of grace time before the power supply is cut out. It
> is not sufficient for the bhyve box to shutdown shutdown properly
> because it waits for the guests to shutdown.

For the present I think I've found a workaround not directly related to
vm-bhyve.  I'm going to insert "service vm stop" into the doshutdown()
procedure in /usr/local/etc/apcupsd/apccontrol before the actual
${SHUTDOWN}. It should give the VMs sufficient time to shutdown before
the actual /sbin/shutdown is executed.

>=20
> If you know of a better way to configure apcupsd so that it powers down
> the UPS only after all the guest OSes and other daemons are safely down,
> I'd appreciate that too.

Do you think the above hack would have any negative effects?

--=20
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
2:5005/49@fidonet http://vas.tomsk.ru/

--UugvWAfsgieZRqgk