Date:      Fri, 2 Mar 2001 08:43:32 -0700
From:      Peter <fbsdq@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Ports, CVS, base install, and sendmail

I went out and bought the 4.0-R from compUSA, installed that using the basic install with X.  I've been
keeping up to date with cvsup so now I'm running 4.2-Stable.  The problem is, is there a way I can get
rid of sendmail from my system as in remove it with somethign like "pkg_delete" as it does not show up
in pkg_info, I cannot delete it [I want to try running qmail]  Also I'm wondering the same thing about perl
and the various other programs installed in the base system, how would one go about removing them
from the system?  Or my current delima, yes I can disable sendmail, in rc.conf and make.conf, but all
it's crap is still out there on the system [yes I can probably get rid of most of it manually], how do people
that use qmail/postfix/other mailer deal with this?

cvsup/make world question:  When I do cvsup with tag=RELENG_4 and ports all, i get the new ports
layout and update to the current stable branch of the 4.x series, then when i do make buildworld, i'm
confused:   Does it also rebuild all the ports I have installed with the bug fixes or does it only rebuild
those base programs that came with the system? If it only rebuilds the base programs that came with
the system ok, so to update ports I have to manually do pkg_info ....ahh this port needs update etc.?

www.nul.cjb.net
www.FreeBSD.org