Date:      Wed, 22 May 1996 02:36:12 -0700
From:      "Amancio Hasty Jr." <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   New GUS PnP Pro driver and vat-4.0b1a

ftp://rah.star-gate.com/pub/vat-4.0b1a.gz
ftp://rah.star-gate.com/pub/guspnp1.tar.gz

If you are going to use vat with the GUS PnP and this driver , please
download the above version of vat.

This is the second BETA release for the GUS PnP Pro. If you own any other
soundcard or are not running *FreeBSD 2.1-stable*  don't bother using
this sound driver. If you are running FreeBSD 2.2xx this driver will
not compile .

The difference between a GUS PnP and GUS PnP PRO is that the
GUS PnP Pro has 512kb of memory.

To configure in your /sys/i386/conf/<kernel-file> have:

controller	snd0
device gus0 at isa? port  0x220 irq 11 drq 1 flags 0x3 vector gusintr

the gus pnp is fully software configurable and the above configuration
is setup for full duplex audio. The dma channel settings are:

drq 1   	--- DMA channel for playback

flags 0x3	--- DMAN channel for recording

*DONT use dma channels greater than 4 because the driver is not going to work*

To unpack:
cd /sys/i386/isa
mv sound sound.old
tar -xzf guspnp.tar.gz

***** NO NEED TO CONFIGURE THE DRIVER -- that is to modify ********
***** /sys/i386/isa/sound/local.h                          ********

After you edit the kernel config file just type:
config <kernel-file>
cd /sys/compile/<kernel-file>
make
make install

After I managed to get dmas greater than 4 to work all you will need
to configure the gus pnp is :
	controller snd0
	device gus0 at isa?  vector gusintr

You should use vat-4.0b1a available on :
ftp.star-gate.com:/pub/vat-4.0b1a.gz

The mic input level setting does not work with this release .
The issue is the lack of documentation on how to properly
initialize the mixer sub-system found on the GUS PnP.

As for reporting back problems it looks like I am going to get
very busy real soon so the sooner people report problems the
greater the possibility that I may fix the problems soon.

	Have fun,
	Amancio