Date:      Sun, 18 Dec 2011 10:06:48 -0800
From:      Kevin Oberman <kob6558@gmail.com>
To:        "Conrad J. Sabatier" <conrads@cox.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pkg_version and portversion: ports version comparison weirdness

On Sun, Dec 18, 2011 at 8:43 AM, Conrad J. Sabatier <conrads@cox.net> wrote=
:
> Can anyone explain why I'm seeing the following?
>
> libX11-1.4.99.1 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 < =A0 needs updat=
ing (index has
> 1.4.4,1)
>
> How is it that version 1.4.99.1 compares as "less than" 1.4.4,1?
> Since when is 99 < 4?
>
> Is it the PORTEPOCH in 1.4.4,1 that's throwing a monkey wrench into the
> works?
>
> This makes no sense to me. =A0What is the logic being applied here?

Yes. When epoch increments it starts the versioning all over. Largest
epoch value ALWAYS is considered "newer" that any smaller epoch value,
regardless of the rest of the version number.

Epoch is normally used when a port needs to be rolled back to an older
version due to a serious problem caused by the newer version. E.g.
xcb-utils-3.6 broke a LOT of stuff, so the epoch was bumped to 1 and
the version was set back to 3.6. Once a port has an epoch applied, it
will never be removed.

--=20
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
E-mail: kob6558@gmail.com