Date:      Fri, 24 Jul 1998 23:07:35 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jan B. Koum " <jkb@best.com>
To:        Brian Gallucci <ntboy@ntboy.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Turning Ports Off

	Don't write eMail with HTML!!!
	You don't turn off ports in /etc/services, that file is like a
database. You turn off services in /etc/inetd.conf:
$ man 5 inetd.conf ; man inetd
	Are you sure you need port 21? You should use scp (secure copy,
part of SSH - secure shell) to copy files between systems. To see which
udp ports are open on your system:
$ netstat -an | grep udp
	I am currently finishing up FreeBSD Security How-To .. when I am
done (a few more days), I'll post the URL here or something...

-- Yan

Jan Koum                  jkb@best.com |  "Turn up the lights; I don't want
www.FreeBSD.org --  The Power to Serve |   to go home in the dark."
Observation #1: The more security consultants get paid, the longer their
                sentences are