Date:      Sat, 5 Sep 1998 00:11:05 -0300 (EST)
From:      Joao Carlos Mendes Luis <jonny@jonny.eng.br>
To:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com, bsdhh@bsdhh.org, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: An Open Letter To The FreeBSD Core Team

Not copying to -hackers, to reduce the already enough noise level.
Instead, following up to -chat.

#define quoting(Terry Lambert)
// > Perhaps , a mediation panel or court consisting of a small odd number
// > of members can help address some of your concerns.
// > The primary requirement to be a panel member is mentally balance ,
// > good listening skills and technically competent.
//
// Any voting body in a small organization should *never* consist
// of an odd number of members.
//
// In the event of a tie, the result should be treated as a vote for
// the status quo.
//
// Anything else quickly oscillates out of control, since it's
// overdriven by political in-fighting.
//
// I'm not speaking for or against the idea, at this time; just that
// an implementation with an odd number of voters models very quickly
// into factionalism.

That why some legislation changes in Brazil require two-thirds of the
voters to approve a change in the status quo.  I doubt Brazil is the
only country doing this.

					Jonny

--
Joao Carlos Mendes Luis            M.Sc. Student
jonny@jonny.eng.br                 Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro