Date:      Thu, 1 Nov 2001 20:24:16 -0800 (PST)
From:      Scott Campbell <scampbel@gvpl.ca>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   4.3R -> 4.4R breaks mail dns

I have started to upgrade my FreeBSD boxes from 4.3R to 4.4R building from
cvsup'd sources.  Using the stock sendmail configurations my 4.4 boxes can
no longer send mail to my mail server (a FreeBSD 4.3-p14), but my 4.3
boxes still can.  I know sendmail has been upgraded and bind has been
upgraded but I can't figure out why it isn't working.  When sending an
email on the 4.4 box I get:

mawire# mail -v -s "New test" scampbel@pochta.gvpl.ca < test.file
scampbel@pochta.gvpl.ca... Connecting to pochta.gvpl.victoria.bc.ca. via
esmtp...
scampbel@pochta.gvpl.ca... Deferred: Operation timed out with
pochta.gvpl.victoria.bc.ca.

But if I "telnet pochta 25" I can send an email using EHLO..., MAIL
From..., RCPT To..., DATA, ., QUIT

Looking at the IPFW logs (open but logging) I only see UDP dns queries
between the 4.4 box and the mail server, no TCP to port 25 :(

All three boxes are using the same dns server.
The 4.4 box can ping and nslookup the mail server.

The 4.4 and the 4.3 machine have the same resolv.conf, similar hosts
files.

The 4.4 box was made with the following make.conf file.
CFLAGS=         -O -pipe
NO_CVS=         true
NO_FORTRAN=     true
NO_I4B=         true
NO_LPR=         true
NO_OBJC=        true
NO_SHAREDOCS=   true
NO_X=           true
NOGAMES=        true
NOINFO=         true
NOLIBC_R=       true
NOPROFILE=      true
NOUUCP=         true
WANT_OPENSSL_MANPAGES=  true
NOPORTDOCS=     true
USA_RESIDENT=   NO

The 4.3 box's make.conf:
CFLAGS=         -O -pipe
NOPROFILE=      true
NOGAMES=        true
NOPORTDOCS=     true
NO_X=           true
RSAREF=         YES
USA_RESIDENT=   NO

Since it is trying to use esmtp I didn't think it was the NOUUCP but I
don't know it all.  I haven't seen any docs saying that any of the above
make.conf flags effect mail.

Any helpful suggestions?

I've tried using the old sendmail.cf with no luck - it looks like a dns
issue but why does the 4.3 box still work? I can't find what changed.

Thanks in advance

Scott E. Campbell
Computer Operations
Greater Victoria Public Library