Date:      Fri, 17 Jul 1998 11:25:25 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Satwant <satwant@lachman.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:    Modem on Toshiba laptop (freebsd 2.2.6)

Can anyone please help me with my modem problem.

Having spent more than 5K to have a laptop exclusively for my freebsd use,
I discovered that the problem of getting on network using modem is not a
trivial one.

WIN95 shows I have :

	COM1 : Serial port : 3f8 : IRQ 4
	COM2 : Toshiba internal modem : 2f8 : IRQ 3

But in freebsd while booting it says :

       sio0 not found.
       sio1 not found.

Any attempt to dial thru ppp after that on /dev/cuaa1 says:

	device not configured.

I am therefore, unable to get on web, or send / receive mail or do
anything on network.

Would highly appreciate any help on this issue.

-Satwant.