Date:      10 Oct 1999 13:54:29 +0000
From:      Randell Jesup <rjesup@wgate.com>
To:        tom brown <tmcb1971@yahoo.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Single character errors in source files, stop kernel compile!

tom brown <tmcb1971@yahoo.com> writes:
>I'm running FreebSD 3.3 on a AMD-K6 box thats totally SCSI.

>This is where I start to get failures.  The compiler will stop with code 1
>and will claim that the reason is a single character error in the source
>code.  A typical example would be the word "struct" spelt "strwct".

>Any ideas?  I'm tempted to think it's some kind of a problem with the
>drive, but I haven't had any real hard failures.

	It sounds like a classic case of incorrect cabling or bad
cable/termination; or possibly bad memory, or overclocking/overheating.
Check your cable; make sure it's tight, make sure you're running _good_
terminators and not violating any specs (did you know the maximum stub
length is ~3 inches, and that there's a _minimum_ distance between
connectors?  (I think it's ~12 inches.))  You are using a good terminator,
yes?  Are any drives outside the box?  Termination at both ends of the bus?

	Another check may be to use camcontrol to lower the speed or
width the SCSI bus is using for transfers.  (camcontrol negotiate).  NOTE:
you can screw things up royally with camcontrol if you don't know what
you're doing.

Try something like:
	camcontrol negotiate <bus:unit_id> -v
to find out about the device negotiation parameters, and
	camcontrol negotiate <bus:unit_id> -R 5.0 -a
to set the max sync transfer rate to 5MHz (slow).  You could add a "-W 8"
to limit it to 8-bit-wide transfers.  You could even try lower rates.

WARNING: you can screw up your filesystems playing with camcontrol -
easily.  Also, while I know SCSI and CAM, I don't have SCSI on my current
FreeBSD system and haven't actually used camcontrol.  Read the manpage and
be cautious.

--
Randell Jesup, Worldgate Communications, ex-Scala, ex-Amiga OS team ('88-94)
rjesup@wgate.com