Date:      Sat, 6 Jun 1998 11:07:59 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        "J.A. Terranson" <sysadmin@mfn.org>, Kerby Smith <kerby@bengali.npl.com>, "freebsd-questions @ FreeBSD . ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: frying monitors

On Fri,  5 June 1998 at 18:46:35 -0500, J.A. Terranson wrote:

(in lines up to 92 characters wide.  This is uncomfortable to read;
could you keep down to about 75, please?  I've reformatted your text)

> On Friday, June 05, 1998 5:44 PM, Kerby Smith <kerby@bengali.npl.com> wrote:
>>
>> hi, sorry if i did this whole thing wrong, this is my first time writing to
>> a help thingy hehe... im VERY new to FreeBSD... so new i havent even
>> installed it yet... but was reading some so i could learn some stuff new
>> people have problems with before *i* start.
>>
>> i had a question about this:
>>
>> run xf86config as root (very carefully! a wrong answer can fry
>> your monitor so run it again if you made a mistake)
>>
>> setting it up wrong can LITERALLY fry my monitor!? i mean like, to where it
>> explodes, smokes, or stuff like that? things that i have to buy a new
>> monitor for!? sorry to seem so shocked, i just, have never heard of software
>> having the ability to kill someone's monitor (and im kinda worried now cause
>> i have a expensive 17" heh)
>
> 	That warning probably shouldn't exist anymore, if for no other
> reason than the reaction you are having now!

The warning is very definitely still relevant.  Ignoring a problem
doesn't make it go away.

> The facts are these:
>
> (1) Yes, on *certain* monitors (none of recent manufacture AFAIK),
> it is poosible to actually torch (set fire) a monitor via software.
> This is done by subjecting it so severe overdriving, by playing with
> the sync and refresh rates.

I wouldn't place any bets on modern monitors not doing this, though it
is probably that they protect themselves better.

> (2) AFAIK, it's not likely to happen (even to a susceptable
> monitor) unless you manage to [incorrectly] configure it in *just*
> the wrong way, *AND* you then let it just sit there without doing
> anything about it (for a period of minutes, *not* seconds).  Of
> course, if you are so unconcerned about things that you just walk
> away from an install in progress, then you probably don't care what
> happens anyway :)

*just* the wrong way is anything out of spec.  There are plenty of
wrong ways.  But yes, I don't expect any monitor to die immediately,
so the best advice here is: "if the display is screwed up, stop".
That's not enough, though: read on.

> (3) I may be mistaken, but I don't believe modern (read: SVGA)
> multi-synchronous monitors are subject to this.  And since better
> that 95% of us are using these, (I'm probably the *only* one on this
> list who uses MDA and CGA almost exclusively!)  it shouldn't be a
> big concern.

You're mistaken.  I burnt out the power supply of an expensive Eizo
multisync a while back.  It was running out of spec, but maintaining a
good display.  I ran it like that for several weeks before it burnt
out.

> (4) If you screw up your settings, you'll know *immediately*!  Just
> redo it, and you should be fine!

See above.

Greg