Date:      Tue, 28 May 1996 00:23:56 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Tomas Klockar <dateck@ludd.luth.se>
To:        se@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: SCSI hostadapter

According to Stefan Esser:
> On May 23, 15:13, Terry Lambert wrote:
> } Subject: Re: SCSI hostadapter
> } > I have a SCSI host adapter which I would like to use in freebsd
> } > The brand is NexStor NXT-82
> } > Its a VL-Bus FAST SCSI-2 Host adapter
> } > Its using a a NCR 53C700-66 curcuit
> } > It memorymaps the data.
> }
> } I believe the NCR 53c7xx series (I don't recognize the "53C700-66"
> } in particular, though) are not supported because they are very
> } low end components, for which no one has written a driver.
>
> Hmmm, sorry, no, not really ;-)
>
> The 53c7xx family consists of the 700, which
> is the ancestor of all 7xx and 8xx chips. It
> has a smaller instruction set and lacks support
> for somce features, that had been added in the
> 710. (Most significantly the INTFLY, which lets
> the 53c710 and later continue processing after
> issuing an interrupt to the host CPU. The 700
> stops on every interrupt, and waits for the
> CPU to restart it. The INTFLY feature is used
> to make the CPU poll for completed commands,
> while the NCR already talks to the next SCSI
> target.)
>
> } These are the same chips in AMD SCSI/Net ethernet/SCSI chips on
> } the motherboard of some Compaq systems.
>
> Umm, no, sorry. The decice in the AMD Combo chip
> seems to be based on the 53c90, but I have never
> actually seen a data book on it. But I know that
> it also lacks an INTFLY capability, i.e. the CPU
> has to drive it as an intelligent host adapter,
> while the NCR 53c710 and later are real independent
> processors working on a closed code loop, as long
> as no real exception stops them and makes the CPU
> clean up.
>
> } You should use another card (~US$75 for an NCR 8xx series, one
> } of the best available), or write a driver (for which you will need
> } another working machine, or another card, and docs for the 7xx
> } chips; on the plus side, yyou should be able to use the 8xx
> } driver as a template).
>
> The 710 driver would need mostly changes in the
> probe and attach code. A driver for the 700 would
> need a rewrite of the code executed by the NCR
> chip itself and changes to the driver code executed
> by the host CPU.
>
> If you got PCI, the the 53c810 is a cost effective
> choice. If you don't, well, then I'd rather buy a
> used Adaptec 1542 or some compatible BusLogic than
> spend hundreds of hours on a driver for obsolete
> hardware. There have been a total of four requests
> for a 53c7x0 driver over the last two years ...
That might be because of peoples lazyness, who might use linux instead or
just go and buy a new SCSI-card. I don't think all people are on this
mailinglist. It might also be that theese cards are pretty rare.

The reason I'm on this list is that I couldn't find support for this card and
that I belive that I have the knowledge to make a driver for it.
Otherwise I would just have bought a new card. Or maybe ignored the disc since
I'm using it for DOS.

/Tomas

--
Tomas Klockar can be found at the following adresses:

Kårhusvägen 4, 2:43  |  Furuvägen 102       |  dateck@ludd.luth.se
977 54 Luleå         |  871 52 Härnösand    |  dateck@solace.mh.se
Tel: +46-920-229391  |  Tel: +46-611-13393  |  d94-tkl@sm.luth.se