Date:      Fri, 11 Aug 2000 07:56:03 -0500
From:      Andrew Gould <AndrewGould@shannonhealth.org>
To:        FreeBSD-Questions <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   RE: Technical Comparasin 'tween FreeBSD and Linux

Your timing couldn't be better for me to try to answer your question and ask
mine!

Some background:
I don't have an IS background; but have been experimenting with Linux of
various distros for about 2 years.  I now work in a place with *no*
Unix/Linux.  I have been given permission to bring in my personal machine to
demonstrate "proof of concept" regarding a database warehouse.  At my
previous employer's, I had MySQL running on SuSE 6.4; but have, since,
installed Slackware 7.1.  In about one week, I will receive about 3 Gb of
data in ascii files on multiple cd's.  Since I knew the size of the database
was going to start big and grow, I decided to consider FreeBSD.

The test:
I have a MySQL table with approximately 1.9 million rows.  I did fresh
installs of both Slackware 7.1 and FreeBSD 4.0.  Hardware specs include an
Athlon 700 Mhz chip; 384Mb RAM; one 20 Mb, 5200 rpm, ATA 66 IDE hard drive
and one 15 Mb, 7200 rpm, ATA 66 IDE hard drive.  The operating systems were
loaded onto the 20Mb harddrive.  Two copies of the MySQL data table were
created on the 15 Mb harddrive -- one in a ufs partition and one in an ext2
partition.  From within each OS, using the MySQL client, I submitted the
following query:  'select count(hospname) as cases from hc1998;'.

The results:
Slackware completed the query in 63 seconds (rounded down).
FreeBSD completed the query in 49 seconds (rounded up).
(63 - 49) / 63 = 22.22% difference

My test indicates that, in this instance, FreeBSD 4.0 is faster than
Slackware 7.1.

My questions to the database and OS experts on this list are:  Can I expect
this result to be fairly representative of general performance differences:
  1)  when running various SQL queries?
  2)  when running any large process?

I am fairly comfortable as a user in Linux now.  At this point, I am not
comfortable at all in FreeBSD; but I can't dismiss a 22.22% performance
difference -- not when I (a non-IS, pro-Unix/Linux, new employee) have to
prove a server concept on desktop hardware to a non-Unix IS Director 2-3
weeks from now.

To quote Dr. Allaire, philosophy instructor at UT at Austin, "We do most of
our growing when we're uncomfortable."...........(damn!)

Best of luck,

Andrew Gould