Date:      Sat, 19 Oct 2002 06:41:33 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        spadger@best.com, postmaster@minjust.gov.ua, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Toshiba Tecra 8000 internal modem trouble.

On Sat, 19 Oct 2002, M. Warner Losh wrote:

> In message: <Pine.BSF.4.21.0210130804040.53173-100000@wonkity.com>
>             Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com> writes:

> : Maybe the PC Card controller on the Tecra 8000 is also on the ISA bus
> : and can't share interrupts?  Result-wise, all I've ever managed to get
> : to work for PC Cards are irq 10 with the modem enabled in the BIOS, and
> : irq 3 with the modem disabled.
>
> Hmmmmm, I've not yet seend a CardBus bridge based laptop that can't
> share interrupts.

Toshiba has a "resources" document on the 8000 with the following table:

IRQ	Use	                Notes

0       Timer
1       Keyboard
2       PIC #2
3       Modem                   COM port, modem
4       COM                     COM port, modem
5       Sound system            COM port, printer, modem, ECP, MPU*
6       3.5-inch diskette drive
7       LPT1                    COM port, modem, ECP, sound system, or MPU*
8       Real-time clock
9       Not Available           Reserved for system
10      Available               COM port, sound system, MPU, modem
11      External PCI bus        Modem, sound system, FIR, or MPU*
12      PS/2 mouse
13      Math coprocessor
14      Hard disk               CD-ROM, secondary hard disk
15      CD-ROM                  CD-ROM, SelectBay

The other thing that affects this, at least in terms of FreeBSD and PC
Card use, is the BIOS setting for the card slots.  If the
"Configuration" is set to Setup by OS (PNP, I think), and PC Card
"Controller Mode" is set to Auto-Selected, multiple cards seem to be
happy with sharing irq 11.  And that's what they get, regardless of what
is specified as available in /etc/pccard.conf.

If PNP is disabled and the PC Card controller is set to PCIC Compatible,
then the cards each seem to need a separate irq.  (This is how I had
been trying to run it.)