Date:      Thu, 15 Oct 2009 12:01:48 -0300
From:      "Carlos A. M. dos Santos" <unixmania@gmail.com>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org, Andriy Gapon <avg@icyb.net.ua>
Subject:   Re: heci: a new driver for review and testing

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 9:34 PM, Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 19:46:20 -0300
> "Carlos A. M. dos Santos" <unixmania@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 2:12 PM, Andriy Gapon <avg@icyb.net.ua> wrote:
>>
>> > BTW, can/may I drop "alternatively GPL" wording from License block of =
the files I
>> > borrowed from Intel? I.e. can a dual BSD+GPL licensed file be turned i=
nto BSD-only?

>> If Intel is the copyright owner then you can not change the license
>> without their permission.
>
> True. But he *has* their permission. They list the requirements for
> use and redistribution in the license block in question:
>
> =A0* Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
> =A0* modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions
> =A0* are met:
> =A0* 1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
> =A0* =A0 =A0notice, this list of conditions, and the following disclaimer=
,
> =A0* =A0 =A0without modification.
> =A0* 2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce at minimum a discla=
imer
> =A0* =A0 =A0substantially similar to the "NO WARRANTY" disclaimer below
> =A0* =A0 =A0("Disclaimer") and any redistribution must be conditioned upo=
> =A0* =A0 =A0including a substantially similar Disclaimer requirement for =
further
> =A0* =A0 =A0binary redistribution.
> =A0* 3. Neither the names of the above-listed copyright holders nor the n=
ames
> =A0* =A0 =A0of any contributors may be used to endorse or promote product=
s derived
> =A0* =A0 =A0from this software without specific prior written permission.
>
> I don't see anything there about retaining the ability to choose an
> alternative license. The paragraph in question says that people can
> *choose* to distribute it under the GPLv2, not that it *is* being
> distributed under the GPLv2.

Conversely, I don't see anything there explicitly *allowing* somebody
to remove that paragraph so I'd keep it unless I had express clearance
from Intel. Making assumptions can be dangerous, especially when
dealing with large corporations. That's the main lesson I've learned
after several years dealing with such matters.

I don't want to make this discussion longer than necessary, so I stop here.

--=20
My preferred quotation of Robert Louis Stevenson is "You cannot
make an omelette without breaking eggs". Not because I like the
omelettes, but because I like the sound of eggs being broken.