Date:      Mon, 22 Jun 1998 17:15:53 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        michaelh@cet.co.jp (Michael Hancock)
Cc:        Matthew.Alton@anheuser-busch.com, tlambert@primenet.com, johnh@isi.edu, FreeBSD-fs@FreeBSD.ORG, Hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, Scott.Smallie@anheuser-busch.com
Subject:   Re: Stackable filesystems and SunOS 4.1.1

> I think it is definitely worthwhile to review John's work.  The approach
> you suggested earlier can easily be made portable, but it is a very very
> large project.  It reminds me of how Oracle or Sybase are implemented as
> large systems with OS-like features.  Just implementing the name space
> subsystem is not a trivial undertaking.  Have a look at namei() and you'll
> understand what I'm talking about.

Actually, this is false.  Three of us implemented full source level FS
module portability between FreeBSD and Windows 95 for my previous
employer; it wasn't that much work.

We also implemented soft updates in FFS before Kirk did (though only
in the Windows 95 environment).

I personally did the code to support multiple name spaces and Unicode
simultaneously through namei.

FS work is like any other kernel work; it's not a realm of dark magic...
if it's a realm of dark anything, it's a realm of dark politics.  The
real issue is that there are a lot of people who feel the need for
perfect understanding before allowing a change in.  Thankfully, there
has been a significant uptrend in knowledgable FS hackers recently.

I truly don't think the project is that large (having argued for it
six ways from Sunday since I first contacted John about including
his code in 4.3 based FreeBSD in early 1994).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.