Date:      Thu, 2 Nov 2000 11:32:39 -0500
From:      "Passki, Jonathan P" <jpasski@kpmg.com>
To:        "'Lowell Gilbert'" <lowell@world.std.com>, "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: [freebsd-questions] kernel compile stop error w/ references t o _init & _fini

> > After cvsup'n source a couple days ago for the 4.1.1
> branch, and after doing
> > a make world last night w/o a reboot, I attempted to
> recompile the kernel,
> > but was unsuccessful, and it ended abruptly w/ a Stop Error.
>
> You really should use the updating procedure described in
> /usr/src/UPDATING.
> It may not be fatal in this case, but it's always a good idea.

The updating procedure I used was gleamed from /usr/src/UPDATING.  It
advices to at least do a make buildworld before kernel compilation so that
all modules are present for the new kernel if new source has been added to
the system.  After that, I believed it outlined the kernel compilation as
this:

cd /usr/src
make buildkernel KERNEL=MYKERNEL
make installkernel KERNEL=MYKERNEL

Also, the file then talked about rebuilding the disk dev's and making sure
the config files are up to date in /etc and the such.  Since I don't have
the document in front of me, I may be mistaken.

Is there something else in the UPDATING file that you're refering to, or did
what I just mention cover the procedures you questioned?

>> last amount of info I wrote down:
>>
>> cc -0 -pipe -nostdinc -I/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/NOVA/../../.. -I.
>> -I/usr/include
>> -c /usr/src/sys/dev/aic7xxx/aicasm/aicasm_symbol.c
>> cc -0 -pipe -nostdinc -I/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/NOVA/../../.. -I.
>> -I/usr/include
>> -o aicasm aicasm_gram.o aicasm_scan.o aicasm.o aicasm_symbol.o -ll
>> /usr/lib/crtbegin.o: In function '_init':
>> /usr/lib/crtbegin.o(.init+0x0): multiple definition of '_init'
>> /usr/lib/crti.o (.init+0x0): first defined here
>> /usr/lib/crtbegin.o: In function '_fini':
>> /usr/lib/crtbegin.o(.fini+0x0): multiple definition of '_fini'
>> /usr/lib/crti.o (.fini+0x0): first defined here

> This was an actual problem in the sources, but it was only
> there for a few
> hours.  If you cvsup again, you shouldn't see it any more.
> [Transitory
> problems of this sort are an unavoidable risk of trying to
> build sources
> from a development repository, as I assume you did --
> downloading releases
> instead of the latest -STABLE *would* avoid such problems.]
>
> Be well.

I'm not gutsy enought to go w/ -CURRENT, if that's what you're refering to
:-)  And as far as I knew, -RELEASE is the actual release source that gets
promoted by FreeBSD.org and pressed onto CD's, while -STABLE is the
'kept-up-to-date' version that's obtainable by updating and recompiling the
source (http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/current-stable.html)  I was
presently at 4.1 -STABLE before this, and was going to try out a whole bunch
of new servers (samba and some gnome stuff), so I wanted to update the
source and rebuild.  I knowingly updated just the RELENG_4 branch, so I
might have just caught a transitory bug, like you suggested.

Thanks for the insight, and if you know of anything else that might help me
out, I would appreciate all comments.

Jon
is unauthorized.