Date:      Sat, 14 Dec 2002 17:10:00 -0600
From:      "Jack L. Stone" <jackstone@sage-one.net>
To:        Josh Brooks <user@mail.econolodgetulsa.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NMBCLUSTERS over 4096 dangerous in any way ?

At 02:36 PM 12.14.2002 -0800, Josh Brooks wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have a firewall that is starting to get a little overworked.  I
>currently have this line in my kernel config:
>
>options NMBCLUSTERS=4096
>
>and I am starting to hit that limit:
>
>276/4096/4096 mbuf clusters in use (current/peak/max)
>
>So, the obvious response is to increase that NMBCLUSTERS value.
>
>-----
>
>However, in all the examples and discussion I have seen, I have never seen
>anyone discuss raising it above 4096.  I have no indication that raising
>it to ... say ... 8192 would be dangerous/risky, but I think I should ask
>just to make sure.
>
>The system is a P3-600 with 256 megs physical ram, and 128 megs swap.
>This system has no other duties than firewalling.  System is running
>4.4-RELEASE.
>
>SO:
>
>1. any comments on raising NMBCLUSTERS to 8192 ?  any other values that
>need to be tuned to support that ?
>
>2. what is the max I could safely raise NMBCLUSTERS to ?
>

>thanks!

When I ran into overload problems using NFS, I had to bump up to 8192 and
have not seen any problem since. The error message from the system just
complained about the clusters and did not say anything more than recommend
bumping. In my own research, I found 8192 commonly used, but the research
was skimpy at that.

Coincidentially, a message was just posted that says he is using 32768....

Best regards,
Jack L. Stone,
Administrator

SageOne Net