Date:      Thu, 25 Nov 2004 15:46:47 -0500
From:      Louis LeBlanc <FreeBSD@keyslapper.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sound mysteriously not working

On 11/23/04 06:18 PM, Kevin Smith sat at the `puter and typed:
> I had followed the handbook to configure sound (sound blaser Live!)  on
> my new 5.3 installation.  It was working yesterday but it doesn't work
> now.  Just to verify, I booted windows on the same system and the sound
> card/speakers are not working.
>
> Here is my dmesg output and sndstat:
>
>  > dmesg|fgrep pcm0
> pcm0: <Creative EMU10K1> port 0xc800-0xc81f irq 18 at device 2.0 on pci2
> pcm0: <TriTech TR28602 AC97 Codec>
>
> /home/kevin> cat /dev/sndstat
> FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm)
> Installed devices:
> pcm0: <Creative EMU10K1> at io 0xc800 irq 18 kld snd_emu10k1 (4p/2r/0v
> channels duplex default)
>
> Any suggestions on what to try next ?

I don't think this is a problem with the card or the volume.  I see
this a lot on FreeBSD, since 4.8.  Matter of fact, I just tried playing
a wmv file with mplayer, and got no sound.  It was working fine
before.

Every once in awhile my sound just disappears.  Now, even a simple
waveplay command acts like it's doing its job, but nothing comes out.
Catting a .au file directly to the /dev/audio0.* devices just
announces that the device is busy.

The only thing that brings the sound back is a reboot, which
isn't an option I really like.

The card on this particular machine is an onboard Intel 5.1 sound
chip.  How the heck am I supposed to reset these devices?  There's
nothing in the handbook or FAQ that I could find.

Lou
--
Louis LeBlanc               FreeBSD@keyslapper.org
http://www.keyslapper.org                     ԿԬ