Date:      Mon, 31 Jul 2000 09:32:35 -0400
From:      Chris BeHanna <behanna@mail.zbzoom.net>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PPPoE

Ted Sikora wrote:

> Recently my cable service
> reduced the bandwidth. Now upstreams average 16k and downstream 400k.
> There has to be something better. Several users on my node (all
> BSD/Linux users) have been enjoying our own little private network with
> speeds up to 900k both ways.(600k average) Now it's terrible. They now
> limited the internal network to 33k between users. Compared to before
> it's like putting us on dialups.

    When you signed on, didn't you agree to pay  per month for a given
service level?  If I understand you correctly, @home has now changed the terms
of the agreement.

    We need competition for cable service in a big, big way.  :-(

    I don't have the option for DSL where I live (yet), and my cable "ISP" (I
have to put that in quotes, because they couldn't find their bungholes with
both hands and a roadmap) guarantees 1500K down and 500K up for what I'm
paying, BUT they block all the ports below 1024.  :-(

    I can hack around that, given a friendly site outside their firewall who's
willing to divert packets for me, but it's still a PITA.

Regards,
Chris BeHanna
behanna@zbzoom.net