Date:      Sat, 10 Nov 2007 11:22:10 -0800 (PST)
From:      White Hat <pigskin_referee@yahoo.com>
To:        FreeBSD Users Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   ' Openssl.cnf ' and ' .rand ' file

openssl 0.9.7e-p1 25 Oct 2004

I have not been able to find an answer to this question on Google, so I figured I had better ask it here.

In the '/etc/ssl/openssl.cnf' file, there is an entry for:

    RANDFILE    = $dir/private/.rand    # private random number file

Well, that file does not exist. I cannot find it anywhere on my system and I have not been able to figure out how to create it.

Also, where could I locate some information on the 'openssl.cnf' file. There does not appear to be a 'man' page for it. I would like some more information on what all of the settings mean and possibly how to set them for my particular needs.

Thanks!

--
White Hat
pigskin_referee@yahoo.com