Date:      Sun, 24 Sep 1995 15:31:58 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Basket Case <11jmitch@gallux.gallaudet.edu>
To:        "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@kryten.atinc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with latest 2.1.0 w/ NE2000 card

On Sun, 24 Sep 1995, Jonathan M. Bresler wrote:

> On Sun, 24 Sep 1995, Basket Case wrote:
>
> > I'm not sure exactly where to post this, but I guess it would go here --
> > with the older 2.1.0-950726-SNAP release, the setup/boot program worked fine
> > with my ethernet (ne2000 card).  But the current boot disk does not work with
> > it properly.  Basically what happens when I set it up to get files via FTP
> > and when it tries to setup the card, it gets an error:
> >
> > "Destination Address Required"
> >
> > And when turning on debugging, i notice it doing the following command:
> >
> > ifconfig sl0 inet 134.231.56.107 netmask 255.255.0.0
>
> 	that is a point to point link using slip.  you need to spec both
> the local address and remote address.   i use:
>
> 	ifconfig sl0 inet 198.138.38.205 198.138.38.21 netmask 255.255.255.0
>
> 	change the numbers to fit your situation.

I'm not using slip, but i am on an ethernet connection.  For some reason
it is using sl0 (i have no idea why) and I would input the numbers manually
but unfortunately, I cannot do that as I am using the boot disk and am trying
to install the latest release via FTP.  Is there a way I can go into the boot
disk and make modifications (as I dont have any other unix machines nearby)
and the boot disk doesnt have utilities such as ls, cat, etc...

Ifconfig should be setup as "ed0" i believe, but is there any way that this
can be changed or fixed?