Date:      Sun, 11 Jun 2000 05:07:52 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Zhihui Zhang <zzhang@cs.binghamton.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bootup stops at sendmail

On Wed, Jun 07, 2000 at 10:27:51PM -0400, Zhihui Zhang wrote:

| I just configure lp0 interface on my portable and try to bring it up
| automatically by modifying /etc/rc.conf.  As a result, the bootup process
| stops when starting standard daemons: inetd cron sendmail.  How to fix
| this?  A FreeBSD machine should be able to boot when it is temporarily not
| connected to the network, right?  BTW, I use parallel cable to link two
| machines.

Stopping while sendmail loads usually means that you have (temporary, or
more permanent) problems with your DNS setup.  One solution to this is
to try and correct and DNS problems you might have.  Another solution is
to make sendmail accept unresolvable domains and users.

On the freebsd box I have at home, which uses dialup to send mail and
other things, I use in my sendmail master-config file the following:

	FEATURE(`accept_unqualified_senders')dnl
	FEATURE(`accept_unresolvable_domains')dnl

and it does not stop while booting.  Setting up a caching named, might
also help, but it's more difficult that just regenerating your
sendmail.cf with these features enabled.

- giorgos keramidas