Date:      Wed, 11 Dec 1996 12:27:45 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Dyson <dyson@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        jgreco@solaria.sol.net (Joe Greco)
Cc:        current@freebsd.org, dyson@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mlocking an mmap'ped region?

> The following does not seem to work on a 2.2-CURRENT box (built yesterday).
> It does seem to work on SunOS.
>
> Is it just too early to be doing programming or is there really something
> preventing me from doing this?

Yep, it is called broken code :-(.  That problem was just brought to my
attention yesterday.  Unfortunately, someone also wants it fixed in 2.1.X :-(.

I'll probably get it fixed in -current in the next day or so.  Doing mlock
the way that it is currently done is problematical from a couple of viewpoints,
so I think it is going to need to be reworked.  Basically, the original
way of doing vm_map_pageable is wrong for userland pages.

(BTW, I seem to remember that someone had found this problem a year or
so ago, and it fell through the cracks.)

John