Date:      Sat, 25 May 2002 23:36:11 +0200
From:      Paul Everlund <tdv94ped@cs.umu.se>
To:        Patrick O'Reilly <bsd@perimeter.co.za>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FTP server, telnetd and shells (fixed)

Patrick O'Reilly wrote:

> On Sat 25 May 02 15:22, you wrote:
> > Paul Everlund wrote:
> >
> > Hey stoopid! Tell your one braincell to put /sbin/nologin
> > into /etc/shells, then do vipw and change the shell entry
> > in the password file to /sbin/nologin. Now it should work!
> >
> > ----
> >
> > And it did! Thanks Paul for your great tip! :-)
> >

> You know - they say that people who talk to themselves are...,
> well... "stoopid" ;)

:-)

> Anyway, this is not what you asked, but something I do reli-
> giously when I build FTP servers, and particularly for ftp
> accounts that do NOT have shell access, is to use the /etc/
> ftpchroot file.  It's a simple but> handy way to keep your
> FTP users within their little oxes.  If you have not read up
> on it - do so!
>
> # man ftpd
> (search for ftpchroot by typing: /chroot )
>
> My method is to create a group called ftp (in /etc/groups),
> and then use that is the group when adding ftp user accounts.
> Finalyy, edit /etc/ftpchroot, and insert this line:
>
> @ftp
>
> Have fun.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Patrick O'Reilly.

I'm using proftpd, which has a config file much like Apache's,
and chroot is done a bit different, but with the same result,
and I'm using it. Also the ftp users have their own group. So
I have, without knowing it, followed your tips. :-)

Thanks a lot anyway for sharing your knowledge! Not easy for
you to know what I do know and don't, so I appreciate taking
your time.

Best regards,
Paul