Date:      Fri, 13 Sep 2002 19:13:27 -0400
From:      Gerard Samuel <gsam@trini0.org>
To:        "Jack L. Stone" <jackstone@sage-one.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Moving boot drives

I didn't think your answer had anything to do with what Im experiencing.
But just to make sure, I did use dump/restore and got the same results.
Ive tried different target disks, and different methods of moving data.
So Im guessing that while Im in sysinstall, Im not doing something right
to make the disk bootable.
So, Im going to try to use fdisk/disklabel via the commandline and see
if I can get it done that way instead of /stand/sysinstall,
after a trip to the man pages.
But if anyone has spotted where Im going wrong, please feel free to let
me know.
Thanks.

Jack L. Stone wrote:

>At 03:03 PM 9.13.2002 -0400, Gerard Samuel wrote:
>

>>Im changing disks in one of my boxes.
>>Im following a post made by Dean <madscientist@thegrid.net> on
>>http://www.freebsddiary.org/driveswap.php.
>>I dont think my problem is with the procedure of moving data from drive
>>to drive.
>>When I reboot with the new drive I get "Invalid Partition"
>>Before I moved the data, I would add the drive to the system (while it
>>was off of course), enter /stand/sysinstall,
>>fdisk the drive, set it to be bootable.  Then enter disklabel, create
>>the partitions, and write the changes to disk.
>>Is that enough to make a drive to be bootable, or am I missing something.
>>Thanks
>>
>>--
>>Gerard Samuel
>>http://www.trini0.org:81/
>>http://dev.trini0.org:81/
>>

>As the handbook advises, dump/restore is best way to move a filesystem. I
>use a script that does the FDISK, disklabels, dumps and restores any
>partition(s) from one disk to another, including the root/bootable. Never
>have to enter sysinstall at all. It's automatic, except for any resizing of
>partitions perhaps desired.
>
>I don't trust tar to do that or any other method, except perhaps dd. If dd
>is used (makes an image), the new HD must be equal or larger in size. If
>larger, the extra cannot be used though.
>
>Best regards,
>Jack L. Stone,
>Administrator
>
>SageOne Net