Date:      Thu, 10 Mar 2005 22:34:23 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: how to deal with spam for good?

Actually, there is.  Spam is what I object to.  Non-spam is what I don't
object to.

> so no automated or technical solution will ever work
> completely.

It would if my computer could understand what I'm telling it better. ;-)

Seriously, filters that are customized to the individual are very
effective.  The problem is getting the average person on the street to
put in the time to write a customized e-mail filter for themselves.
Most MUA's these days have mechanisms for the users to insert rules.
But very few users avail themselves of these.  It's easier for them to
bitch to the ISP, and assume of course that the ISP understands exactly
what
they want to get and what they don't want to get.

Ted