Date:      Thu, 13 Feb 2003 12:33:40 +0200
From:      Willie Viljoen <will@unfoldings.net>
To:        "Zhikui CHEN" <zhikui.chen@po.uni-stuttgart.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: UDP-lite.

On Thursday 13 February 2003 11:59, Zhikui CHEN wrote:
> Dear Sir.
>
> Could the latest version of FreeBSD support UDP-lite?
>
> Thanks in advance.

I've done alot of searching on this. Quite a few documents relating to
UDP-Lite claim that they have an experimental implementation of UDP-Lite
for FreeBSD, but provide no information as to where it might be found, or
if it has been integrated. Almost all documents relating to it at this
stage are in PDF, which leads me to believe that it will most certainly not
be in the 4-STABLE branch at this stage, although it might be available in
5-CURRENT.

It seems the protocol is still more of a draft than an implemented protocol
working on the open internet. I could infact find no working
implementations of it anywhere.

If you are able to find a working implementation, please point me to links
sothat I can investigate further.

It might also be a good idea to post your question to the developer mailing
lists, you can get information on these at http://www.freebsd.org/

For some strange reason, all search results related to UDP-Lite also point
to IPv6, which leads me to believe it may only be available (or usable)
with IPv6.

Drafts regarding UDP-Lite date back as early as 1999. Although it is now
four years on, this does not mean UDP-Lite is implemented by now, the
origional IPv6 draft was decided on in 1994, and it is still not even near
being implemented on the open internet, and being used only for internal
networks, testing, and in places in Japan where a critical shortage of IPv4
addresses exists.

Will

> Zhikui CHEN, Ph.D.
>
> National Supercomputing Center