Date:      Tue, 10 Feb 1998 15:51:30 -0500
From:      Chet Ramey <chet@nike.ins.cwru.edu>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au
Cc:        cracauer@cons.org, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, chet@po.cwru.edu
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/bin/sh jobs.c

> 4. For subshells, traps caught by the shell shall be set to the default
>    values and traps ignored by the shell shall be ignored by the command.
>
> Notes.  "the default values" doesn't seem to be specified.  It presumably
> means that the corresponding signals are set to SIG_DFL.  The initial
> state of trap handlers doesn't seem to be specified anywhere.

I disagree.  I believe that it means the values of signal handlers
inherited from the shells' parent.  That is the `initial state of
trap handlers'.

If a user starts a shell with some signal ignored, he has every right
to expect that all processes begun from that shell will have that
signal ignored.

Chet Ramey, Case Western Reserve University	Internet: chet@po.CWRU.Edu