Date:      Fri, 25 Oct 1996 10:44:00 -0600
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        "Eric J. Chet" <ejc@gargoyle.bazzle.com>
Cc:        "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@ki.net>, smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Recommendations...

Hi,

> 	Dual P6s are not cost effective right now.  You can get
>a dual P5, with adaptec 2490UW SCSI onboard, Triton-II, 512K
>pipeline burst cache mainboard for $350.  It's a GigaByte
>GA-586DX-512.  I believe  one of the SMP developers is using this
>mainboard.  Check out http://www.atipa.com for a reseller.  This
>board with two P5-133 would make a nice development system.

This would be me.  I am quite happy with it, its rock solid.
If you go the dual P5 route, this is the board to get.  I tried
overclocking the 133's to 166, but I evidently have some of the newer
CPUs that refuse to overclock...bummer!

A single P6-166 would be a faster system, at least currently.  A
dual P6 would be very nice.

 But beware, for most things the SMP kernel can actually
be slower than using a single CPU.  I hope that we will change this
situation SOON!

--
Steve Passe	| powered by
smp@csn.net	|            FreeBSD