Date:      Sat, 06 Nov 1999 21:46:21 +0100
From:      Roelof Osinga <roelof@nisser.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>, FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: easyboot far into disk

Mike Smith wrote:

> "Chose easyboot"?  Here's the best fix:
>
>  - Boot the install floppy.  When the little spinning widget appears
>    and stops, hit the spacebar.  At the 'boot:" prompt, type
>
>      wd(0,a)/boot/loader
>
>    This should get the loader off the disk OK, and boot you fine.
>
>  - Once you're up and running, read the manpage for boot0inst.  You
>    want to install boot0 on wd0, and enable the 'packet' option.  This
>    should get you going.
>
> All of the FreeBSD boot path apart from boot0 seems to work just fine >
> 1024 cylinders.  I haven't personally tested over the 8GB mark though.

Nice, if the boot process can work with the CHS driver. The problem
is that is not always the case. E.g. mine. So you can't *get* up and
running.

Hence you need the diskettes which don't *have* the boot0cfg. End of
story. Even if one has a 2nd FreeBSD system standing by one is still
SOL. You can copy the boot0cfg onto the fixit, but what about the
ld-elf shared lib?

So all this is very nice. If you can get your system to boot, i.e. to
get it past boot0 stage. Since clearly we can't...

It would've been nice if

- boot defaulted to packet instead of CHS
- boot had the -o packet option
- the install disks could be used to access ones root disk
- the steps to do so would be outlined
- people that yell RTFM would be automatically throttled

Roelof

--
Home is where the (@) http://eboa.com/ is.