Date:      Mon, 13 Nov 2000 12:08:17 +1030 (CST)
From:      Justin Hawkins <justin@hawkins.dropbear.id.au>
To:        James Lim <jameslpin@pacific.net.sg>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: USB CD burner problems

On Mon, 13 Nov 2000, James Lim wrote:

> Hi there!
>
> Could you cut and paste the exact scsi error msgs that you received? That
> would help us to understand the problem more!

Hi James,

I thought they'd been cycled out and the burner is still at the
friends house (they can use it at least!), but I found it in the
gzipped /var/log/messages.1.gz file:

[Plug in device]

Nov  5 20:43:36 tardis /kernel: umass0: OnSpec USB Atapi, rev 1.00/0.08, addr 2
Nov  5 20:43:36 tardis /kernel: umass0: Get Max Lun not supported (STALLED)
Nov  5 20:43:42 tardis /kernel: cd0 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
Nov  5 20:43:42 tardis /kernel: cd0: <TEAC CD-W54E 1.1B> Removable CD-ROM SCSI-0 device
Nov  5 20:43:42 tardis /kernel: cd0: 650KB/s transfers
Nov  5 20:43:42 tardis /kernel: cd0: cd present [1 x 2048 byte records]

[At this point if I have a pre-recorded CD in there, I can mount
it and everything is 100% happy. Below is what happened when I
start using cdrecord. Works OK for a while, then suddenly:]

Nov  5 20:47:13 tardis /kernel: umass0: BBB reset failed, IOERROR
Nov  5 20:47:13 tardis /kernel: umass0: BBB bulk-in clear stall failed, IOERROR
Nov  5 20:47:13 tardis /kernel: umass0: BBB bulk-out clear stall failed, IOERROR
Nov  5 20:47:18 tardis /kernel: umass0: BBB reset failed, IOERROR
Nov  5 20:47:18 tardis /kernel: umass0: BBB bulk-in clear stall failed, IOERROR
Nov  5 20:47:18 tardis /kernel: umass0: BBB bulk-out clear stall failed, IOERROR
Nov  5 20:47:19 tardis /kernel: umass0: BBB reset failed, IOERROR

[repeats a lot]

After this happens the drive is wedged, I need to power cycle the
drive, and also unplug and replug the cable (I think) to get it to
work again.

Hope this helps.

	- Justin

--
              Justin Hawkins --> justin@hawkins.dropbear.id.au
                 "Don't sweat it -- it's only 1's and 0's"