Date:      Tue, 05 Jun 2001 02:47:02 -0400
From:      Donn Miller <dmmiller@cvzoom.net>
To:        parv <parv_@yahoo.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-STABLE <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: XFree86-4.1 appears to be broken

parv wrote:

> short answer, john, is, for me, the fresh cvs tree of XFree installed
> w/o a single problem, which identified (in make logs) as
> 4.0.99.9*  ... good enough for me...
>
> ...and now the whole story...
>
> something weird happened to me this morning... for some reason i
> blasted  away my XFree86 4.0.3 version + assorted programs.

Don't do that.  What you should do is

cd /usr
mv X11R6 X11R6.old
{cd to the directory containing xc and}
make install install.man

Then, what you could do is something like:

find /usr/X11R6 | xargs chflags schg

This will protect your freshly installed XFree86 from being
overwritten.  Then, cp all your old files over with cp -R;  chflags will
deny you from over-writing the freshly installed files.  After you're
finished, just do

chflags -R noschg /usr/X11R6

Then, and only then, if everything looks OK, you can rm -rf
/usr/X11R6.old.

See, my experience has been that you can't just install a new version of
XFree86 over the existing one, because it always caused the "make
install" to fail.